CRO (Construction Related Occupation) Card Changes
June 11, 2016
The primary objective of the Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) is to provide evidence that individuals working on construction sites have been assessed and have the required training and qualifications for the type of work they carry out. This plays a vital part in improving safety standards on construction sites within the UK.
CSCS introduced changes to the Construction Related Occupation (CRO) card from 1 October 2015 which will pave the way for its withdrawal by 2017.
The Construction Related Occupation card (CRO) was introduced 10 years ago and is available to people working in construction related occupations who are not covered by other CSCS cards.
CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test to apply for the card, making it a quick route of entry to site without the need or commitment to be qualified.
To meet the recommendation of the Construction Leadership Council (CLC) and ensure that cards carrying the CSCS logo demonstrate that an individual has achieved the agreed standard of qualification for their occupation, CRO cards will be phased out over the next two years as follows:
So what happens from the 1st October 2015?
- Existing CRO cards which were issued before 1 October 2015 and expire after 30 September 2017 will remain valid until their expiry date;
- All CRO cards issued from 1 October 2015 will expire on 30 September 2017 and are not renewable
- Before your CRO card expires, you will need to register for a recognised construction related qualification or undertake the necessary training, to prove that you have the capability to work in the industry. If you do not register for the construction related qualification for your occupation by 30 September 2017 you will be unable to obtain a CSCS card.
- Only one occupation will be displayed on the card. If you currently hold a mutli-occupation card you must notify CSCS which occupation you wish to have displayed.
- CSCS will stop issuing CRO cards from 31st March 2017
Our advice to all who hold the CRO card is to not delay registering for a qualification and working towards it. If you still haven’t registered for a construction related qualification by the 30th September 2017 you will be unable to renew your card , making it almost impossible to work on a construction site.
To ensure you apply for the correct card, you or your employer should use the card finder tool on the CSCS website.
The card finder will show you which qualifications are accepted together with the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test that needs to be completed and which CSCS card to apply for.
The introduction of these new measures is a practical approach to industry’s desire for a fully qualified workforce, whilst improving standards and safety on UK construction sites.
For further information on the CRO changes please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page or call one of our consultants on 0115 987 8484.
Simon Nicholas Associates are a specialist construction recruitment agency, working to enhance your career in construction